Posted On : 14 Jun, 2022
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: "Zero Hunger by 2030" - If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Dedza, Malawi. The position is paid according to local pay grade.
Overall Role of the position
Oversee the day-to-day management of the project including planning, organizing, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project overall activities, in accordance with the project proposal, operational plan and budget, ensuring quality assurance.
Duties and Area of Responsibility
- The incumbent will be fully responsible for the adequate management of the organization assets and handed over inventory for the performance of his/her duties.
- Assist and work with the HoP in drawing up plans and budgets for the project activities in conjunction with the project team.
- Assist the HoP in the effective and efficient management of the project in Dedza District through support to planning, coordination, budgeting, implementation, timely monitoring and reporting.
- Supervise the performance of the project team.
- Ensure that the project adopts best practices in Water and Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) Systems Strengthening.
- Ensure proper project documentation and good practice sharing with other partners within and outside WHH.
- Support in monitoring and maintaining project compliance with administrative and logistics procedures.
- Support to ensuring project monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems are in place and that project reviews/audits are carried out periodically in conjunction with the team, HoP, local stakeholders and project partners.
- Monitor any evolving humanitarian situations in the project area and consider strategic responses in relation to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
- Ensure good working relation with all programme stakeholders including government, civil society, private sector and beneficiaries – ensure that they are fully involved in the planning and designing, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the project as appropriate.
- Ensure efficient management of staff, financial and other resources including annual appraisals of staff, coaching and mentoring where necessary, financial management, logistics and transport management.
- Ensure application of appropriate technologies promoted by WHH in Malawi, e.g., DOXA, Life pumps etc.
- In collaboration with project field staff ensure that the relevant training curriculums are followed and implemented in good quality.
- Ensure regular communications are maintained among the specialists, field sites and the country office in Lilongwe.
- Ensure reports are completed in accordance with deadlines and undertake report editing and review where necessary.
- Identify capacity gaps of staff and draw up a training plan and implement it in cooperation with the HoP.
- Travel to the project sites for supervision and monitoring as per project management needs.
Safety and Security
- Actively monitor field site safety and security and advise the HoP about new developments or issues that might compromise the safety and security of the project or personnel.
- Ensure that the project adheres to WHH’s systems and procedures.
- Ensure that project implementation meets WHH and donor compliance requirements.
Human Resource Management
- Maintaining good team communication, promoting good team dynamics and taking remedial action when problems occur in collaboration with HoP.
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management.
- Work with HoP to maintain up-to-date job descriptions for the project staff.
- Ensure procedural compliance for recruitment and contracting of staff.
- Work with HoP and administrative team in the recruitment process for new project staff.
- Ensure that WWH and donor Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA), and zero tolerance for fraud and corruption policies are strictly enforced.
- In coordination with the HoP represent WHH at different forums as required.
- Provide coverage for other posts when needed and carry out any other responsibilities as requested by the HoP.
- Degree level education in WASH, Agriculture, Livelihoods, Rural Development, Project Management, Development Studies or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in programme and people management at senior level in similar/ related role.
- Experience in proposal writing with a proven ability to secure donor funding.
- Strong understanding and practical experience in rural WASH, livelihoods, food security and related sectors.
- Strong team leadership skills.
- Strong experience in project planning and development with ability and experience to conceptualize implement and evaluate programmes.
- Strong understanding and practical experience in Project Cycle Management (PCM), monitoring, evaluation and reporting at high level.
- Proven problem solving and organizational skills, flexibility and calm under pressure.
- Practical experience of WASH systems strengthening, livelihoods and rights-based approaches to development with a good appreciation for advocacy purposes of how to use media, lobbying and mass mobilization.
- A mature self-starter, a good communicator and team builder with the ability to manage and motivate staff.
- Very good Knowledge of the NGO sector in Malawi and international Development.
- Excellent Chichewa and English language skills with excellent verbal, analytical, and organizational skills - a good communicator, with proven experience in reporting for international donors.
- Good team-worker; able to live and work closely with a small team with minimum direct supervision.
- Commitment to international and humanitarian NGO codes, code of conduct, and relevant standards and practices.
- Clean driving licence (Cars and motorbikes).
- Readiness to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Advanced knowledge in the areas of WASH, Natural Resources Management (NRM), Rural Development.
- Previous management experience preferably in rural livelihoods and food security with an international NGO.
- Skills to adapt and develop appropriate monitoring tools for WHH and its partners.
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Word, Excel, Power Point and other applications.
- Understanding and experience of administration, finance and logistics systems.
- Flexible to travel and work in remote areas.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position and WHH reserves the right to make necessary changes.
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale.
How to apply
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by June 19, 2022.
Link is here: https://bit.ly/3aSAwmx
Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community