Posted On : 19 Jun, 2022
Norwegian Church Aid works with people and organisations around the world in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustice. We provide emergency assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is an International Non-Governmental Organization working in over 30 countries around the world. It is a member of the worldwide ACT-Alliance, comprised of 140 churches and church-related organizations cooperating on humanitarian assistance, advocacy, and development. Norwegian Church Aid has been working in Malawi since 2002. In 2021, we joined forces with DCA and are since operating as a Joint Country Programme (JCP) with Strategic Priorities for the period 2021-2024 being, Gender based violence (GBV), Climate Smart Economic empowerment (CSEE) and Fighting inequality (FI). please visit our website: www.nca.no
The NCA/DCA Malawi Joint Country Programme was created to enhance synergy and positive sustainable development in the lives of the poor and marginalized people in the target communities of Malawi and to reduce costs and increase efficiency and effectiveness.
For NCA/DCA to continue developing its and partners’ programmes in Malawi, we are now seeking experienced persons with solid knowledge and skills to fill the following vacant positions in the Country office based in Lilongwe:
Position: PROCUREMENT OFFICER (Short-term Contract 10 months)
Reports to: Procurement Coordinator
Base: Country Office Lilongwe
The Procurement Officer will support the procurement of services and commodities for the NCA-DCA Malawi Joint Country Program. He/she will provide technical and operational support to the competition, selection process, and monitoring of procurements and subcontracts for NCA-DCA and its partners. This position will work directly with local, regional, or international suppliers and service providers to initiate NCA-DCA
procurements, ensuring that procurements are solicited using adequate price competition and that they comply with donor regulations and NCA/DCA Policies. She/he will guide and assist in preparation of procurement plans for all projects within NCA/DCA and implementing partners.
Duties and responsibilities
The Procurement Officer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Preparation and updating of Annual Procurement Plans for various NCA-DCA Projects, detailing contract packages for works, goods and services, the estimated cost for each package, the procurement or selection methods and processing times till completion of each procurement activity in consultation with the project/program teams
- Assist with the maintenance and updating of the NCA-DCA Purchase Request Tracking System, Suppliers database, contract and Framework agreement register, with complete “paper trail” of the procurement process.
- Timely procurement of goods, non-consulting services and works through preparation of all procurement documentation including Bidding Documents, Request for Quotations, Request for Bids, Procurement Notices, Bid Opening and Evaluation sessions and preparation of Bid Evaluation Reports.
- Coordinate and ensure timely responses to clarifications sought by bidders or shortlisted consultants during the tender process and communicate the results of the tender in keeping with NCA-DCA Guidelines.
- Preparation of Procurement Post Review registers, attending Procurement Post Review meetings and response to comments on issues raised.
- Ensure compliance with procurement methods and thresholds applicable to the donor guidelines and NCA procurement guidelines for both the Malawi Joint Country Program and its Partners
- Assist in timely payments to suppliers, contractors and consultants and ensuring their contractual obligations such as payment guarantees, Insurance premiums and performance Bonds.
- Maintain a central procurement filing system, and ensure all related documents are included in the respective files.
- Establish a performance monitoring database for all suppliers and consultants and ensure timely updates of the system.
- Preparation of Monthly procurement progress reports and present them during Project team meetings
- Provide secretarial duties during NCA-DCA Procurement committee meetings
- Carry out any other relevant periodic duties that may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time
- Coordination among the office team and field office
- Compliance with NCA security and finance and logistics routines, regulations, and SOPs
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field such as Procurement, Logistics and Supply chain Management, Business Administration or Management.
- Member of MIPS
- Minimum of 5 years of similar experience working with international donor-funded projects or NGOs in the field of procurement, logistics and Supply chain.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, sustainable relationships with vendors, participants, and the general development and business community
- Strong organizational, communication, and administrative skills
- Ability to maintain a rapid and demanding pace of work
- Working proficiency in basic computer applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Power point.
Competencies, Knowledge Management and Learning
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results with less supervision.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
How to apply
Applications including CV, suitability statement and names and contact details of three traceable references should be sent to:
The Country Director
Norwegian Church Aid
P.O. Box 30793
Applications should be submitted by 12 noon on Friday, 1st July 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note that NCA is an equal opportunities Employer; therefore all, men, women, and those with disability are encouraged to apply