Posted On : 16 Jun, 2022
Inter Aide has been working in Malawi since 1992 with particularly vulnerable rural communities. The association is present in the Central and Southern regions through the implementation of agricultural development programs, access to water and sanitation, maintenance of water points and community health.
POSITION: PROGRAM MANAGER FOR AN AGROFORESTRY PROGRAM
Based in: Lilongwe, Malawi with frequent trips to other districts
Inter Aide is supporting about one thousand smallholder families in Lilongwe district, to start planting trees on their agricultural plots, in a context of lack of available land and strong constraints in accessing wood for energy. The objective of the project is to contribute to individual wood production by pruning trees to meet the energy needs of rural households and to generate additional income through the marketing of firewood. In addition to direct economic benefits, the sustainable management of these plantations also improves the conditions of the agricultural environment.
Inter Aide is looking for a program manager to coordinate and develop the project and evaluate its impact.
The Agricultural Programme Manager will be based in a rural area of Mitundu trading center. The main task will be to coordinate, develop and evaluate the activities implemented with the villages monitored in this area. The Programme Manager will undertake an identification of potential future areas and assess the relevance of further expansion of the project in the same area in the coming years.
In this capacity, the Programme Manager will be responsible for:
- Supervise, evaluate and strengthen the local team: 3 forestry officers, 1 monitoring and evaluation manager, 1 driver-logistician
- Ensuring the coherence and relevance of the activities implemented
- Ensure the quality of technical training offered to farmers and the team
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of the programme and carrying out studies
- Developing collaboration with the authorities and other local actors
- Logistical coordination of the programme
- Financial and operational reporting to the area manager and the administrative and financial manager strategic design of the programme content and its geographical deployment
- As part of his/her duties, the program manager will be required to travel frequently to the villages in the intervention zone and occasionally to other regions of the country.
- Agricultural engineer or equivalent (specialization or experience in agricultural development)
- Prior professional experience in agroforestry is essential, including a part in a similar context
- Experience in different African countries is an added value
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of support and advisory systems for farmers
- Experience in team management required
- Ability to delegate and diplomacy
- Interest to work in the field, autonomy, dynamism, organised
- • Fluency in English is essential (spoken and written)
How to apply
Your CV and covering letter should indicate in the subject line MAL/RP/AGROF/NTJ/2022
All applications should be submitted by email to
before/ by 24th June 2022