Posted On : 13 Jun, 2022
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. In Malawi, MSF works in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the local community in integrated HIV/AIDS in Chiradzulu District and Cervical Cancer projects Blantyre districts.
MSFF is looking for its Chiradzulu Office:
Workplace : Chiradzulu
Type of contract : 6 months Fixed term contract with possible extension
Start date : As soon as possible
Ensure quality of care of medical external activities in the MSF-supported Health Centres, following project objectives. Planning, organizing, supporting and supervising the clinical team (COs/clinical mentors and 1 nutrition nurse) with hands-on and technical input if needed,
Ensure that MSF values, policies and protocols and universal health standards are followed, in order to warrant the quality and continuity of the health care and the development of the plan of action.
- Lead the team under his responsibility according to MSF HR policy and procedures, supervising the work, organizing and scheduling the composition and rotation of the teams (duty rosters and shift of clinical mentors and nutrition nurse), and directly participating in emergencies and guards if necessary.
- Supervise implementation of the legal therapeutic protocols, procedures and standards, depending on project objectives and provide technical and hands-on support when needed, to ensure the quality of the medical care. Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnosis and prevention. Provide outpatient consultations and prescribe the necessary treatment in accordance with MSF protocols when needed.
- Ensure confidentiality, information traceability, patient surveillance, and the application of the therapeutic and infection control rules by the health care personnel.
- Ensure all patients documents (individual patient’s card and registration book, discharge paper, transfer paper, etc.) and existing data management tools are used correctly. Participate in the collection and analysis of epistemological data, checking their accuracy, completeness and validity.
- Informing the line manager or the field coordinator of any problem or complication concerning the patient's illness, or medical error; oversee the proper functioning of the service, equipment and materials.
- Check and supervise the rational distribution of drugs and equipment under its responsibility and ensure the quality, disinfection and sterilization of medical equipment. Ensure general compliance with usual hygiene criteria.
- Organise the work of the clinical officers in the different health facilities and assure a continuity of care
- Ensure availability and application of clinical guidelines and protocols for patient management, specifically targeting the “MSF cohort”: children, adolescents and unstable adult patients
- Review, develop and implement clinical protocols ensuring a patient-centred approach, including screening and management of malnutrition, TB, OI, STI, NCD and other key condition.
- Provides clinical advice/support to MSF clinicians by oobserving and supervising clinical consultation and provide feedback on timely manner, including Saturdays teen clubs
- Supervise the coordinated development and implementation of the nutritional support. Ensure that therapeutic food provided complies with quality and quantity standards and that patient outcome is well followed even after referral to other partners
- Ensure a good clinical follow-up and a multidisciplinary approach of the MSF cohort
- Ensure a good collaboration with the MoH staff and the in charges of the different health facilities working on peer-to-peer relationship for better patients care globally.
- Share professional knowledge and continuously evaluate the medical team and propose and facilitate adapted training/refresher courses if necessary.
- Ensure organization of regular clinical meetings and interdisciplinary meetings so as to discuss patient care at HC level (MDT’s).
- Ensure the correct use of the patient files and other data collecting tools (M+ forms, Baobab…)
- Monitor patient care through daily assessments of clinicians using systematic review in Baobab system/electronic Mastercard/patients’ health passport and Patient files.
- Monitor patients with a high viral load, suspect of failure in collaboration with clinical mentors
- Prepare patient summary for the ones eligible for DST and make sure that those failing are promptly switched to recommended regimen following HIV DR test (proposition shared with advisers).
- Monitor the children and adolescent cohort patients (ICD paediatric days, appropriate regimen…)
- Monitor the third line ART regimen patients.
- Ensure that HIV patients presenting KS are linked with dedicated services and regularly followed
- Ensure that patients in need of routine or targeted viral load are identified by clinicians as well as the results for VL reach the patients as soon as possible.
- Ensure that patients in need of other POC tests (TB LAM, CD4, CrAg, Creat, Hb…) are identified by clinicians as well as the results are given back to the patients and actions are taken on time.
- Ensure that the hospitalization criteria are respected and patients who need hospitalization are hospitalized.
- In collaboration with the Clinical mentors, MSF LAB manager and local authorities ensure that the complete pathway of DBS and POC VL is working properly (from bleeding to results given to patients/clinicians) and that failing patients are properly managed and timely switched to appropriate regimen.
- Ensure that TB screening is properly done by the clinicians.
- Ensure timely identification, diagnosis, treatment initiation, follow-up including proper counselling of TB patients (DS and MDR-TB)
- Ensure that the “one-stop” service for TB/HIV management is the rule
- Ensure outcomes of TB patients from our cohort are known as the global district cohort
- Participate in the MSF-MOH Joint TB Management Supervision to the health facilities at least twice a month.
- Participate in developing, updating and implementing medical aid and guidelines in collaboration with the Medical Activity Manager (MAM) and Medical Focal Point (MFP).
- Ensure that clinicians correctly understand and correctly apply medical job aids/guidelines and have the material needed to follow them
- According to MSF protocols and medical prescriptions, in collaboration with the Pharmacist and MAM, supervise the preparation of monthly orders, expiration terms and consumption, in order to ensure that pharmacy stock levels of needed medication during consultations are always updated and above minimum safety point in each Healthy Centre.
Data analysis and reporting
- Monitor and evaluate closely the medical data collection tools together with MSF clinicians and timely produce and submit the quarterly reports to MAM.
- Follow the high viral load list produced monthly by Epi team in collaboration with clinicians, counsellors and social worker
Program planning and implementation
- Participate in the bi-annual definition of objectives and annual planning.
- Participate in medical and project meetings
- Centralize the flow of information’s to and from the MAM
Additional supervision role
- Conduct annual interview and follow progression and professional development of the staff supervised,
: Medical doctor registered with Medical Council. Desirable specialization or training in advanced HIV.
: Essential 5 years working experience related to the qualification and previous experience in HIV/TB management
: Mission language, English and Chichewa
- Cover letter, Updated CV, ID Copy and relevant certificates
Application should be submitted to:
Human Resources Manager
Médecins sans Frontières France
PO Box 50
Chiradzulu – Malawi
E-mail address: email@example.com
with in subject: DECENTRALISATION HIV/TB DOCTOR
(Indicate only the Position and Your Full Name as part of the Subject Line of the email).
NOTE: Please clearly indicate the POSITION TITLE AND YOUR FULL NAME on the application. Letters, CVs and any documentation included in application package will not be returned. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. MSF is an equal opportunity employer: all applicants will be equally considered under the same criteria and expectations. MSF does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees: if ever you are requested to pay any amount to process your application or access employment with MSF, do not pay and please inform the MSF administration on email: firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible