Posted On : 16 Jun, 2022
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. In Malawi, MSF works in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the local community in integrated HIV/AIDS in Chiradzulu District and Cervical Cancer projects Blantyre districts.
MSFF is looking for its Chiradzulu office
CLINICAL OFFICER FOCUSSING ON MENTAL HEALTH – 1 POSITION
Workplace : Chiradzulu
Type of contract : 6months Fixed term contract
Start date : Immediate
Main purpose of the position
The clinician focussing on mental health will be providing psychological support to patients targeted by MSF. Ensuring HIV consultations in the health centre during intensive clinic days and Saturday Teen Clubs according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to guarantee quality and effi-ciency of the service provided and improve the patients’ mental health status.
- Ensuring the implementation and standardization of MSF clinical policies, tools, and hygiene protocols in order to minimize clinical risks and to guarantee the quality of patient care management.
- Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment. Informing the patient and his/her relatives about the possible consequences of the illness and the drug treatment to follow and referring patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment and improve the patient's condition.
- Identifying possible victims of SGBV Sexually Gender Based Violence (SGBV), implementing the Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol
- Providing psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health conditions
- Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities. Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behavior during training sessions
- Recording in the individual patient’s card and registration books, all performed medical activities (drugs prescribed, lab results, vaccination status, epidemiological activity, doses, etc.) keeping data traceability in order to ensure patients treatment continuity.
- Participating in data collection and reporting especially on mental health activities
- Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients’ treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective
- Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential.
- Implementing diagnosis, prescription and prevention procedures that fall under the scope of his/her competencies applying medical knowledge, asking appropriate questions to patients and following protocols in force as well as using laboratory services when necessary, in order to ensure a correct implementation of the medical treatments and to refer patients when appropriate.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- In cases of emergency, carrying out first aid care and treatment according to protocols in order to reduce mortality rates
- Knowing and implementing Patient Therapeutic Education (PTE), i.e. keeping contact with all patients, providing them information regarding their health state and responding to their questions. Knowing and promoting the proper application of Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
Mental health focus
- Ensure screening activities to detect mental health problems in the population targeted by the project, following validated screening tools
- Conduct mental health assessments including detailed historical and clinical examination; make a diagnosis and provide appropriate mental health / psychiatric and psychosocial support accordingly, prescribing drugs as per protocol.
- Follow-up of patients’ mental health evolution in regular MH consultations, identifying drug side effects, needs for treatment adaptation, possible emergency situations arising and managing.
- Refer patients to other specialties or MH referral centre when a need arises and collect the feedback.
- Implement and follow all MSF Mental Health standards protocols, guidelines and documents elaborated for the mental health activities in order to offer appropriate support for patients.
- Provide advice and information to patients, participate in the health education and/or treatment process.
- Ensure good communication with the other teams in the project and MoH colleagues.
- Participate in multidisciplinary meeting (in Health centers and CCMT in the office)
- Share problematic situations and cases with MAM, PSAM, MFP, and Psychiatrist for assistance with decision-making and problem resolution.
- Be accountable for continuity of care provided by MSF by organizing MH team accordingly.
- Ensure that patients missing their appointments are traced.
- Conduct home visits and provide domiciliary mental health / psychiatric treatment and support when needed.
- Prepare and maintain patient files, filled on time for monitoring and reporting defined by MSF to produce reports following project rules.
- In link with the MAM and pharmacist, ensure the drugs needed are available at Health Center level
- Ensure that MH data is shared with the district team for the cohort to be considered for supply and reporting.
- Take advantage of the remote proposition of technical support (as part of supervision and continuous education) On request, ensure some flexibility to answer to operational needs of the project
Promote patient centeredness and combine general HIV and MH consultations
In addition of the MH management, support general HIV part of the consultation for a “one stop” transversal consultation.
- Perform a proper history, screening of key conditions and clinical examination, request investigations including VL (DBS or POC), CD4, TB LAM, CrAg and ART drug sensitivity tests, review the results, make a diagnosis and manage the patient according to protocols in place in the project (national fitting with MSF requirements).
- Perform or request other point of care tests: Syphilis, Hepatitis B, Hemoglobin, creatinine, urine dipstick analysis, glycaemia when indicated, interpret the results and manage the patient accordingly in accordance with MSF protocols.
- Ensure that the results of the requested tests are communicated to the patient and recorded in the different databases (M+, Baobab)
- Identify patients who need viral load and/or genotyping testing and participate in sample collection.
- Diagnose patients failing ART treatment and switch them to appropriate treatment without unnecessary delay.
- Identify patients who need hospitalization based on a thorough clinical assessment and laboratory investigations, ensure that all necessary POC lab tests prior to hospitalization are done; all necessary adjustment/ changes to treatment are done prior to hospitalization and ensure that the patient is referred to the hospital without unnecessary delay.
- Participate in nutrition screening of HIV positive patients and ensure management according to plan/protocol.
- Manage essential drug and supplies (order new drugs according to the daily consumption and in anticipation of upcoming consumption to avoid stock outs) and dispense drugs from the cabinet to patients when the drug is not available in MoH pharmacy.
- Document every consultation in M+ forms, patient health passport and Mastercard, ensure that the M+ forms are properly filed after consultations to keep track of the patient’s clinical evolution and to ensure continuity of care for the patient.
Education: Essential: Diploma /Degree in clinical medicine AND a diploma or degree in mental health/psychiatric specialization
•Certificate in training of trainers is an added advantage
Experience: •At least 2 years’ experience in mental health set up and in clinical HIV/AIDS/TB care, including the provision of ART
How to apply
Documents to provide:
- Cover letter, Updated CV, ID Copy and relevant certificates
Deadline for submission of application: 25th June 2022
Application should be submitted to:
Human Resources Manager
Médecins sans Frontières France
P.O Box 50
Chiradzulu – Malawi
E-mail address: email@example.com
with in subject: CLINICAL OFFICER FOCUSSING ON MENTAL HEALTH Full Name
(Indicate only the Position and Your Full Name as part of the Subject Line of the email).
NOTE: Please clearly indicate the position title and your full name on the application. Letters, CVs and any documentation included in application package will not be returned. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. MSF is an equal opportunity employer: all applicants will be equally considered under the same criteria and expectations. MSF does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees: if ever you are requested to pay any amount to process your application or access employment with MSF, do not pay and please inform the MSF administration on email: firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible