MwAPATA is an independent policy think tank in Malawi. The goal of the MwAPATA Institute is to promote the formulation of effective, locally led policies and programs to drive a broad-based agricultural transformation for wealth creation and improved food security. The institute responds to public and private sector needs in the agricultural, natural resources, and broader rural space The MwAPATA Institute is affiliated to the National Planning Commission and the Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources. The Institute works closely with Michigan State University, which provides technical and institution-building support.
MwAPATA Institute wishes to recruit highly motivated, proactive service-oriented and energetic individuals to fill the position of Receptions/ Program Assistant based in Lilongwe:
Receptionist/Program Assistant (1)
The Receptionist / Program Assistant will be serving as first point of contact for the organization. The Receptionist’s / Program Assistant will be responsible for offering administrative support across the organization. He/She will provide support to the members of the Research team in the development and implementation of the programme and provide effective support and assistance to the team to ensure smooth programme implementation in line with MwAPATA Institute
Key tasks shall include:
• Manage the telephone switchboard ensuring calls are promptly answered, forward them to staff and take messages appropriately.
• Attend to visitors, screen them as part of office security measures and direct them accordingly
• Maintain and update internal and external telephone lists and routinely circulate internal list subsequent to any changes.
• Update calendar and schedule meetings Handle incoming and outgoing mail, including DHL/FedEx/Pony, as well as distribution.
• Maintain a dispatch register for outgoing hand delivery mail and incoming mail and a register for outgoing international phones
• Provide administrative support to the research team in the organization of events. meetings. and workshops, etc.
• Make travel arrangements for the research team and project staff including preparation of travel requisitions and claims.
• Draft non-substantive correspondence.
• Maintain and organize up-to-date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval.
• Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials.
• Create and maintain files of correspondence/documents and electronically received information and ensure up-to- date filing.
• Maintain both hardcopies and electronic copies of the office records and reference files on various subjects.
• Prepare presentation material/slides in Power-point for presentations for the meetings/ workshops and keep all papers ready for meetings.
• Perform other clerical receptionist duties such as filing, photocopying Issuing stock from the stores, receiving goods from vendors on delegation, maintain a register for vendor invoices received and help communicate payments to vendors when done
Qualifications and skills;
• Diploma in secretarial studies or Business administration with required minimum experience.
• 2-3 years’ experience working for Donor funded organizations.
Knowledge and Skills.
• Strong software skills including extensive experience with Excel and Word required.
• Ability to prioritize tasks:
• Strong organizational skills:
• Ability to work collaboratively with program, finance and operations staff toward the achievement of project and organization objectives.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal required.
• Fluent in English highly desirable.
• Skilled at working in a culturally diverse environment.
How to APPLY;
Applicants should send a cover letter and their detailed curriculum vitae to email@example.com with the heading: Application for Receptionist/Program Assistant, in the subject line.
Applications should be received before close of business, January 20, 2020.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates. The positions carry with them a two-year renewable contract. subject to six-month probation period.