Grant Thornton have been retained by their client in the NGO sector to carry out an Executive Search for suitably qualifying person to fill the position of Director of Operations (DoO). The position is tenable at the Country Office in Lilongwe, reporting directly to the Country Director (CD). They are inviting interested and qualifying candidates to submit their applications not later than 15 June 2021 to the address below. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Position: Director of Operations (DoO)
The incumbent may at times act as one of the deputies to the Country Director (CD) on a variety of Programme Support Functions and assist in the overall management of the Country Office as a member of the Country Management and leadership Teams (CMT & CLT)
Dimensions of the Roles
The Director of Operations is a member of Country Management Team (CMT) and Country leadership Team (CLT) along with other country managers and is expected to contribute to the understanding and strategic direction in the country. He or she deputizes the CD as required and if needed in relation to external stakeholders The DoO reports regularly to the CD on the management of financial and operational risks associated with programme delivery and in country operations S/he is also responsible for providing updates on annual operating budgets, budget forecasting and analysis, legal compliance, all aspects of procurement and fleet management, security and disaster preparedness related to operation functions The DoO has responsibility for ensuring all departmental KPIS for Finance, logistics. Procurement and Administration, IT and Safety arid Security are developed and met, and that measurements are in place to ensure seamless synergies and processes with all other departments
The DoO oversees the preparation consolidation and analysis of Annual collated country and Programme Area budgets for submission to the regional office. He/she further tracks the country’s budget and ensures timely sharing of such information with the CD, the CLT and the PAMs to facilitate accurate budget management. The DoO provides strategic oversight to the implementation of Management standards as well as ensuring that all corporate audits follow the same standards. The DoO further provides strategic oversight to the management of fraud wit support from the Risk and Compliance manager and the Country Director. The DoO is responsible for ensuring that strategic detailed and summary Monthly, quarterly and annual Financial and L and P reports are prepared and shared with the CD, CLT and PAMs in a timely mariner
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
Educational Qualification and Experience
Skills Specific to the Post
• Exceptional conceptual and strategic thinking and analytical skills
• Comfortable with taking timely decisions in situations where information may be incomplete, based on consultation and sound judgement
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues at long distances in a multi cultural environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation and public speaking.
Strong negotiation, influencing and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to provide leadership, communicate effectively and build high performance teams in support of achievement of organizational objectives
• Strong team-budding and motivational skills with ability to interact and work effectively with others.
• Ability to analyse information evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
• Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
Leadership Skills and Behaviours demonstrated from experience
Striving for high performance:
• Achieves clarity and accountability among whole team of their individual and collective objectives
• Deals with poor performers by either improving their contribution or managing their exit, if appropriate.
Strategic thinking and innovation:
• Creates strong strategic direction for own part of organisation in wider context
• Flexible in responding to new demands presented in emergency situations
Decision making and risk management:
• Good judgment in decision-making, making best use of available information
• Willing to make difficult or unpopular decisions and stand by them
Influence and communication:
• Uses the potential of varied cultures to reach solutions,
• Forms good relationships quickly with wide range of people, including those in positions of power arid who have different view/interests,
• Understands external and internal politics and able to navigate these.
Building effective teams and partnerships:
• Creates a highly motivated team with a unified purpose:
• Contributes effectively to work of other functions, units and to management team as a whole
• Continuously uses both 1-1 and team situations to develop others
• Organises work to give others development opportunities,
• Adapts style to suit the needs of a wide variety of people
Those who may wish to have a full copy of the Job Description for the “role” should send an e-mail to: email@example.com
Mode of application
Candidates should submit their applications enclosing an up-to-date CV and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below
Executive Placements – DOO,
Grant Thornton Consulting Limited.
P.O. Box 508,